Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Are we there yet?

I'll admit I am getting a bit antsy. I am feeling good and I can still run a bit, walk for a while, and do some running drills, but it's just not the same. I sit here in the house on a 40 degree day, the first in a while, and I am trapped because of ice.

As any marathoner does, I like to plan out my training schedules. I print out a big calendar and write down what I will do each week for a long run, when I will start double days, how much mileage I'd like to get in, etc. I haven't done this in about a year. When this baby is born, it will be just about a whole year since I've done any serious training. I took the summer "off" only running 30 minutes a day for a while knowing we would want to get pregnant and that I would be working 50 hours a week. I was happy at the time to take a break.

After a couple months I got tired of my flabby self and started upping my mileage. I felt like crap! I thought, wow, I'm really in horrible shape. Then I told myself, maybe it's the hot weather on top of not running that much, I'll bounce back in a couple of weeks, I just have to struggle through this crappy time.

In the back of my mind I was thinking I might be pregnant, but I kept taking the tests and they kept coming back negative. I was very frustrated....until one day, BAM! a positive test result.  Now, I never drink really, but I had just gotten done being race director for our Big Bear 12 hour run and one of the racers had a Smithwick's (a lovely Irish Beer!) so I had to have one.  Then after that I had a Yuengling Black and Tan. Two beers and I was good and drunk. (weak, I know!) It wasn't a week later that I had the positive test. Oh the damage I must have done. LOL!

So here I am. I had my 32 week check up and everything was great. Not only am I preparing for the baby, trying to get organized, I've started planning out my training.  I understand that there are many variables that are beyond my control, but I am still planning my comeback like I would do a marathon training plan. It actually is a marathon training plan, except that I am starting completely from scratch and it goes well beyond the normal 24 week training plan.

The other night I counted out the weeks from my due date (I know she'll come late though) to my goal marathon. On paper it seems like a long time, I know in real life not so much. Don saw all of my calculations and asked what they were. I briefly explained, but I don't think he really understands or cares, and that's okay. It will keep me sane to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and then goals to keep me on track!  Now I've just got to figure out the logistics of lugging two kids around everywhere instead of just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment