Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mashin' Taters!

Ahh, another week gone by. 37 weeks and I'm beginning to think I may start charging this kid rent. It is getting painful to even walk now, but I try. The wicked March weather isn't helping my situation any, but it is what it is.

This week I tried a couple of fairly easy recipes. I think although I am nesting, I've lost my drive to create great food. Some of the recipes in the Mealtime sections of Jessica's cookbooks aren't really "meals". Some are just side dishes. This week I decided to make mashed potatoes from "Deceptively Delicious" and Skinny Egg Salad from "Double Delicious".  I had already made the Skinny Egg Salad before New Year's Eve, but Don told me that I couldn't count it towards my resolution. Stickler!

The mashed potatoes were very easy. Just like making homemade mashed potatoes, only you add cauliflower puree. 1 lb. baking potatoes peeled and cubed (we used red), 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup cauliflower puree, 2 tablespoons margarine spread, 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk. We never use buttermilk, so I just used skim milk. I also added a little bit of garlic salt.  We had it with our deer steak stir fry that Don likes to make and it was delicious!

Onto the Skinny Egg Salad. 1 dozen large eggs hard boiled, 4 green onions (left them out, didn't have them), 6 tablespoons reduced fat mayo, 1/4 cup plain yogurt (used greek, but i think it made it taste funny), 1/2 cup cauliflower puree, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, pinch of sweet paprika, whole wheat sandwich bread. Mix everything together and yummo! But really, it tastes a little bit funny to me just because of the greek yogurt I think. But hey, I used a lot of our eggs!

Tonight it's Huevos Rancheros! Can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment