Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pregnancy Brain..It's other people's problem

Recently I've been speaking to some friends who are pregnant for the first time. These aren't just the normal pregnant ladies, these are formerly super fit, Olympic hopeful pregnant ladies. Imagine, if you will, being in the absolute best shape of your life, then...BAM, you're pregnant!

Great news, right? Right! That is until you start showing and gaining weight and being seen out in public. This is what I've told my friends...People lose their minds when they see a pregnant lady. They can't just stand there and say "Hi, how ya doing", oh no, they have to say something that will set you off. They will all of a sudden have diarrhea of the mouth. They can't help it. It's my theory that this phenomenon should be labeled "Pregnancy Brain".

Here are some of the comments I've heard or my friends have heard:
1. "You must be due any day." This one was said to me in April, when I was due in August.
2. "when are you due?" This one I loved. It's not bad at first, but when people start to ask you about 6 times a day, it gets a bit ridiculous. I would look at them straight faced and say "what do you mean?" and stand for a minute before I smiled. It was awesome.
3. My neighbor told me a woman asked her if she was "sittin twins". She was not.
4. My friend said a woman said she looked like her pregnant cow. She did not.
5. Being a runner while pregnant I've heard that I shouldn't run during pregnancy, even though I ran through three and I had three very large, perfectly healthy babies. In fact, when I was pregnant with my first I was in line to vote with my elderly neighbor. She introduced me to an elderly man who was a retired doctor. She told him that I was still running he said "oh, you shouldn't do that?" I said "you mean run while pregnant?" He said "no, you shouldn't run at all, ever." Jeez!
6. The men that I work with would always call me fatty. I didn't take this to heart though because they are all fat, and I just figured they were getting it in while they could because they knew I would go back to being skinny.

So, the point of my short post today is, if you are newly pregnant and you are just hearing these comments for the first time, you will have to get used to it. People are stupid, people are rude, people are insensitive. They don't even realize it most of the time. The really sad part is most of the comments come from women who have already had children of their own. You would think they would know better, but since they don't you will just have to grow a thick skin and realize that it's their problem, not yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment