Friday, January 21, 2011

Chicken and Biscuits

Well, it's been one of those mommy weeks! On Wednesday I decided to make Chicken and Biscuits. Sounded like a nice comfort food, and with the snowy weather moving in on us again I thought it would be good. Keep in mind that I mentioned before, I like to change recipes a lot, does that make me a non-conformist?  I suppose it helps me learn a little more about cooking. This time around I changed the recipe to take the easy way out on the biscuits part, but it turned out good anyway.

The basics of the recipe are 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 lb. chicken breast cubed, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 can of reduced fat cream of celery soup, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup of sweet potato puree. I added carrots and celery because I thought this seemed more like a chicken pot pie, and I love chicken pot pie, and you can never go wrong with extra veggies!

You cook the chicken in the oil (after peppering it) until brown (4 to 5 minutes) then you stir in all the other ingredients until they are well combined. Then remove from heat.

I put everything into a small casserole dish. Then I was onto the biscuit topping. This is where I cut corners. The recipe called for cream of tartar and buttermilk, neither of which I usually have around the house. I never use them and I've never bought them, so I figured it would be silly to spend the money on them just for this recipe only to have the leftovers go bad in the refrigerator. So went to the old standby, heart healthy Bisquick mix. I spread the biscuit mixture over the top of the ingredients in the casserole dish, then I put it in the oven for 25 minutes.

The result was a pretty little dish, not hard to make, and the family seemed to like it. We had enough leftover for everyone's lunch yesterday.

I made the leftovers for Travis, but he didn't eat any because he was running a nice fever and coughing and just not feeling well at all. When he was a little baby and he was sick I couldn't wait until he would be old enough to be able to tell me what was wrong. But now he is old enough, and he just cried and clung to me and said "mommy, make me better!" Well, let me see, eye of neut, chicken's feet, blood of a rare snake. I'm sure it will do the trick. Wound up all he really needed was lots of sleep.

He seems to be doing better now. I snuck out to the mailbox while he was sleeping, but that was pretty much all the exercise I got yesterday. Well, unless you include carrying around a 3 year old for half the day. I'm looking forward to some nice treadmill time today, since it is snowy and 15 degrees outside. I think I'll try the Chicken and Alphabet soup today. ON ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment