Monday, January 17, 2011

Yummy Chicken Salad

It's been a long weekend! Travis and I were left alone while Don went on his annual winter hike. Before he left I made some Chicken Salad from the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook. I wish I would have taken a picture of it, it was beautiful! It was also absolutely delicious. Needless to say I will be making it again.

2 large hard boiled eggs (farm fresh of course), 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken cutlets or breasts, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Olive Oil, 3/4 cup reduced fat mayo (I use smart balance), 2 stalks celery finely chopped, 1/2 cup cauliflower puree, 1/2 cup non fat plain yogurt (I used greek), 1/2 cup green grapes coarsely chopped.

This recipe was fairly easy to make. You want to sprinkle all of the spices on the chicken and then cook in the oil. Just about the hardest thing was peeling the eggs. It must be because they are farm fresh and not store bought, I don't know! The Greek yogurt has more protein, and I use the smart balance mayo because I have to watch my cholesterol (can you believe that?!). The recipe also calls for taking all the yokes out of the eggs before chopping them, but I only took out two.

So you slice everything up and drop everything into a bowl and mix! It was fantastic! I loved it, and Travis loved it, especially the grapes, and I think as far as a chicken salad goes, very good for you! I will definitely be making this one again!

Now onto a little running and pregnancy update.....Today I had my 30 week check-up. I was happy that I had maintained weight instead of gaining after two weeks, but I know that you could gain no weight one week, and five pounds the next. I just keep trying to eat healthy and exercise and hope that I won't be too far in the whole come April. The Mid wife said everything was great, and I'm feeling great too, except for the occasional day when it feels like the baby is trying to pull an alien on me and jump out of my stomach. Oh, and every time I see someone I haven't seen in a while I get "wow, your belly is really popping out there!" well, where exactly do you expect the baby to go? Kinda like your only option for building in New Jersey is up, your only option for growing in my belly is out! I've come to terms with the fact that this baby will probably be over 9 lbs, and my belly will be HUGE come March! It's an amazing thing.

Despite my giant belly, I'm still getting around pretty good. Last week we had some wicked snow, so I stayed home with Travis from Monday night until Friday. I was able to get out for the occasional walk/run to the mailbox, and otherwise I got on the treadmill. I'm holding steady at about 2 miles. I've also been doing more exercises for legs and core. No abs of course, but some random running drills. I did a nice 45 minute routine with some of the WVU girls last night and I am feeling it today! The hips just don't want to do much except for walk! So today was an easy day of just walking since I am very sore, but it's a good sore!

1 comment:

  1. I bought the grapes for the chicken salad. I recommend you make this dish in the summer when grapes don't cost a small fortune!

    ReplyDelete